Senior Missionaries (part I)

The American flight 922 was supposed to land first in La Paz, but because of a snow storm, it was detoured to Santa Cruz, my final destination. I was with the rest of the passengers trying to rearrange their connecting flights when I heard my name called; they said somebody was waiting for me. I was escorted to an immigration desk where I cleared customs and met “Don Eugenio” for the first time. I was glad that somehow he had heard of my earlier-than-planned arrival and was there to pick me up. In all these years living in this country I have yet to see again another non-airport worker in this “authorized personnel only” zone! I wonder how he was allowed to be there with all the officialdom, but he was there. It was the year of 1996 and my first time on Bolivian ground, at that time I was unaware of it, but this event would only be the beginning of series of big and lasting impressions that Gene and Loraine Train would make in me.

I came with a tourist visa for 30 days. I now imagine that he must have been seriously interested in my stay, that in the very same day he took me around to help me get a one-year visa. Next year when it expired, I went on my own to renew it and encountered typical bureaucracy, needless to say, it took me ages to get it!

At the end of the day they simply said “let’s go to Camiri”. Their voice sounded so unhurried and uncomplicated, as if it was just “around the corner” that I didn’t give it a second thought. It was hours later that I would discover the most unimaginable, arduous, bumpy, dusty, long and tiresome road ever! Gene drove his jeep all the way and only stopped once to effortless climb on top of the vehicle to thighten the rope holding the luggage. They had removed the back sit to accommodate some boxes, so I sat in the front with Loraine who asked thousand of questions. She is so keen on people and never forgets a face, names, birthdays and much of the information given to her. It is so easy to chat with her and never loses an opportunity to excitingly talk about serving the Lord. I wrongly assumed that a trip like that deserved to sleep in next morning. Loraine came to knock the bedroom door three times to make sure I would be ready for breakfast at seven. The following days and months I found myself trying to keep up with their pace of life. I lived with them for a year.

Gene and Loraine in their early years of service

Gene and Loraine in their early years of service

Published in: on September 18, 2008 at 2:15 pm  Comments (5)  

The URI to TrackBack this entry is:

RSS feed for comments on this post.

5 CommentsLeave a comment

  1. I want to read more!

  2. Haha. Perfect Andres! I don’t think I ever got the whole story, you sure did have some “fun” with the Trains. They are good people though, that is for sure.

  3. Si , cuentanos mas Andres! Son ellos los papas de Carol Daughters?

  4. Yes, they are Carol Daughter’s parents. I made contact with the Trains through her.

  5. […] to Bolivia. I came to be under the tutelage, care, training and coaching of senior missionaries Mr. and Mrs. Train. I lived with them for a year and worked along with them for many years following until their […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: